°° 29th ERSA Summer School
°° Space, Territory and Growth. Advances in Regional Science
°° 3-10 July 2016, Politecnico di Milano, Italy °°
Great interest encountered for the topic. 51 Participants from 18 countries. High satisfaction.
ERSA-RSAI Summer school report MILAN
Final Programme Programme SmS_0107
The European Regional Science Association is pleased to announce in collaboration with RSAI, AISRe and the Politecnico di Milano, the opportunity for Ph.D. students to participate in the 29th ERSA Summer School which will be held from the 3rd July to 10th July, 2016 in Milan, Italy, at the Politecnico di Milano. Find out more about the beautiful city of Milan, Italy.
Space, Territory and Growth. Advances in Regional Science
The aim of the Summer School is to provide Ph.D. students with the most updated advances in Regional Science from both the theoretical and methodological points of view.
Lectures will be taught by internationally recognized scientists in the field. Participants will also be given the possibility to present their own Ph.D. work, provided that this is sufficiently advanced to be presented and to get useful feedback.
Programme Structure and latest version of the programme:
- Sunday, Jul. 3, 2016 6 pm – Welcome reception
- Monday, Jul 4, 2016 – Lectures and student presentations
- Tuesday, Jul 5, 2016 – Lectures and student presentations
- Wednesday, Jul. 6, 2016 – Lectures and Technical Excursion
- Thursday, Jul. 7, 2016 – Lectures and student presentations
- Friday, Jul. 8, 2016 – Lectures and policy round table
- Saturday, July 9, 2016 – Lectures and student presentations
- Lectures will be provided by eminent professors. Among them:
- Prof. Ansgar Belke,Universität Duisburg-Essen
- Prof. Andrés Rodriguez-Pose, London School of Economcis and President of RSAI
- Prof. Frank van Oort, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Prof. Roberto Camagni, Politecnico di Milano, Past President of ERSA
- Prof. Roberta Capello, Politecnico di Milano, Past President of RSAI
Goals and Format
The Summer School will be organized in an intense week of lectures with the full day work. Part of the day will be devoted to the presentations by the participants, while in the rest of the day lecturers will provide ex-cathedra lectures. An official certificate of participation will be provided to all participants.
Key Elements and Structure
The Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the Summer School is the Regional and Urban Economics Research Unit of the ABC Department, Politecnico di Milano. Members of the LOC include Proffs. Roberta Capello (chairman), Roberto Camagni, Ugo Fratesi, Camilla Lenzi, Andrea Caragliu, Giovanni Perucca, and Silvia Cerisola.
Selected members of the Italian Regional Science Association (AISRe) board will act as Scientific Committee. The Scientific Committee is co-chaired by AISRe President Prof. Fabio Mazzola and the LOC chairman, Prof. Roberta Capello.
- Organization of a “follow-up” special session for participants at the Summer School at the ERSA congress in 2017.
Terms and Conditions
- Call for Application is Open – 4th December 2015 (New date)
* Application deadline: 28th February 2016
- Notification of acceptance : 30th March 2016
- Debit Note sent out for registration payment: 8th April 2016
- Deadline for payment registration: 30th April 2016
Who should apply?
The ERSA Summer Schools targets PhD students and junior researchers with less than 10 years of research experience. The Summer School intends to bring together Regional Science academics from across Europe and the World.
How to apply?
- Applicants are requested to create their account on the Summer School Application Portal.
- Applications should be submitted within Feb. 28, 2016 and should include:
- A one-page CV of the applicant (PDF format)
- A one-page summary of the research project students aim at presenting during the Summer School. (PDF Format)
First fill in your contact details to create your account on the Summer School Platform and follow the instructions to submit your application. You can save your application as a draft before submitting it.
After notification of acceptance and receipt of registration payments, the participants will be asked to upload an updated version of their intended presentation during the summer school.
Selection of participants
ERSA will select participants aiming for a student body of high academic quality as well as a balanced representation of background.
All Participants are expected to arrive in Milan in the afternoon of the 3rd of July 2016, for the evening – Welcome reception
Teaching Material and Presentations
Information to follow in the coming months…
Participation fee: €200
The fee includes: accommodation for 7 nights in the students dorm, in single rooms with private bathroom; 5 lunches at the Politecnico canteen during the lecture period;
local public transport tickets for one week and Technical excursion.
After notification of acceptance, the participant must register and pay the participation fee to ERSA via a debit note that will be sent to you by email.
Participants MUST cover their own travel expenses from their home countries to the Summer School and going home.
RSAI Membership is requested for participants of the ERSA Summer School.
For more details on RSAI membership, please contact, if you are from Europe, one of the ERSA Sections’ Representative.
If you come from outside Europe, please go directly to the RSAI website.
Participants in the Summer School in 2016 are encouraged to submit a paper in a “Special Session” on the theme of the summer school at the ERSA congress in 2017.
Participants in the Summer School 2016 will be offered a reduced fee for this congress.
Travel information – Accommodation – Preparation for lectures
Participation fee: €200
This fee will contribute to the Summer School program, lunches and coffee breaks, local transportation and Technical excursion.
The Local Organising Committee will provide you precious information in the comings month for your stay in Milan.
All Participants are expected to arrive in Milan in the late morning or early afternoon of the 3rd July 2016.
Time and place
- Dates: 3-9 July
- Place: Politecnico di Milano, Piazza Leonardo da Vinci, 32
The Summer School will be held in the old main premises of Politecnico di Milano, located in Piazza Leonardo da Vinci, 32. This is the main campus of the 1863-established university of Architecture and Engineering. Students will be provided with free accommodation, any additional nights stay will have to be paid by participants.
Getting around in Milan:
Milan has an excellent public transport system and we will use it to get to all the site visits. You will get a public transport pass that will be valid from Monday 4th July until Saturday 9th of July. So, public transport on arrival day and departure day will be your responsibility. You will receive more detailed information later.
Lunches and dinners:
5 lunches at the Politecnico canteen during the lecture period, all over meals are at your own cost.
Students dorm, in single rooms with private bathroom The accommodation address details to follow later on.
This is very close to the university (easy walking distance) and well accessible from the airport and with public transport.
Costs of accommodation will be covered by the LOC.