23rd Uddevalla Symsopium 2020
“The Geography of Creativity, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship – Implications for Regional Growth and Development”
2021, Stenungsbaden Hotel & Conference, Stenungsund,Sweden
The 23rd Uddevalla Symposium 2021 is a joint event co-organised with European Regional Science Association (ERSA).
This symposium welcomes specifically papers:
- that analyse the spatial preconditions for creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship and to what extent they
coincide or differ and how they change over time,
- that analyse theoretically and/or empirically the relationship between creativity, innovation and
entrepreneurship and regional growth and development,
- that analyse the specific role that large and dense urban regions play for creativity, innovation and
- that analyse the need for policies to stimulate creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship and discusses the
effective instruments including institutions,
- that analyse how the tendencies of concentration of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship to large and
dense regions affects other types of regions,
• that analyse clusters of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship inside/outside large and dense regions,
• that analyse other critical relationships between creativity, innovation, entrepreneurship and regional growth
- that analyse innovation and societal development from the perspective of work integrated learning.
- that analyse the role of regional institutions and governance in boosting/hampering creative, entrepreneurial
and innovative activity
- that analyse regional entrepreneurship and innovation dynamics along the expansion/contraction phases of the
- that discuss meanings of creativity, innovations and entrepreneurship in relation to regional growth.
- that critically analyses and discusses policies on creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship on regional, national
and global level.
The Organiser welcomes the submission of papers to:
- The Geography of Creativity, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship – Implications for Regional Growth and Development Or to one of the following special sessions:
- Special Session in the Honour of Professor Roger R. Stough
Chairs: Prof. Charlie Karlsson, Jönköping university, Sweden, Charlie.email@example.com, Assoc. Prof. Haifeng Qian, The
University of Iowa, USA, firstname.lastname@example.org and Assoc. Prof. Ting Zhang, University of Baltimore, USA,
- Social Capital and Development Trends of Countryside in the Knowledge Society – The 2nd International Workshop
Chair: Prof. Hans Westlund, The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, email@example.com and Assoc. Prof.
Kakuya Matsushima, Kyoto University, Japan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Work Integrated Learning in Theory and Practice: Theories, Methods and Applications
Chairs: Prof. Lars Svensson, email@example.com, Prof. Per Assmo, firstname.lastname@example.org and Assoc. Prof. Fredrik
Sunnemark, email@example.com School of Business, Economics and IT, University West, Sweden
- Time-geographical Analyses of Innovation, Knowledge and Regional growth: Theories, Methods and Applications.
Chairs: Prof. Elin Wihlborg, Linköping University, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org and Prof. Per Assmo, University West,
Trollhättan, Sweden, email@example.com.
- Digital Divides as Barriers for Regional Growth
Chairs: Prof. Elin Wihlborg, Linköping University, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ass. Prof. Karin Skill, Linköping
University, Sweden, Karin.email@example.com, Assist. Prof. Nicola Matteucci, Marche Polytechnic University, Ancona, Italy,
firstname.lastname@example.org and Assist. Prof. Irene Bernhard, University West, Sweden, email@example.com
- Entrepreneurial Ecosystems, Creativity and Skills
Chairs: Prof. Helen Lawton Smith, Birkbeck, University of London, UK, firstname.lastname@example.org and Prof.
Sharmistha Bagchi-Sen, University of Buffalo, USA email@example.com
- The Aging Population: Individual, Organizational and Regional Opportunities and Challenges
Chairs: Mikaela Backman, Jönköping international Business School, Sweden, Mikaela.firstname.lastname@example.org & Johannes
Hagen, Jönköping international Business School, Sweden.
- Perspectives on Mobility, Real Estate and Regional Development
Chairs: Dr Helena Bohman, email@example.com and Dr Désirée Nilsson, firstname.lastname@example.org , Department
of Urban Studies, Malmö University, Malmö, Sweden.
- Economic and Technological Complexity as Drivers of Regional Development
Chair: Prof. Tom Brökel, University of Stavanger, Norway, email@example.com
- SME Business Transfers in Need of Creativity and Innovation
Chair: Prof. Susanne Durst, University Wet, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org and Assoc. Prof Ann Svensson (Co-chair),
University West, Trollhättan, Sweden. Ann.email@example.com
- Sustainable Finance and Regional Development
More information on the web www.symposium.hv.se
Chair: Prof. Maher Asal, University West, Trollhättan, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
Following the tradition established by the previous Uddevalla symposia, starting in 1998, the 23rd symposium is designed to bring together leading-edge views of senior academic scholars and mix them with the critical and creative views of postdocs and PhD students engaged in their thesis work. We welcome researchers from various fields, such as economic geography, entrepreneurship, international business, management, political science, regional economics, small business economics, sociology and urban and regional planning. The objectives of the twenty-third Uddevalla Symposium 2020 are: i) to provide a unique opportunity for scholars including senior and junior researchers to discuss path-breaking concepts, ideas, frameworks and theories in plenary key-note sessions and parallel competitive paper sessions, and ii) to facilitate the development and synthesis of important contributions into cohesive and integrated collections for potential publication.
Therefore, unpublished complete papers are invited for presentation and feedback from other scholars.
Leading-edge contributions from previous symposia have appeared in so far eight special issues of prestigious journals with an additional one in the pipeline, and nineteen edited book volumes. Following the traditions, we are considering publishing either a special issue and/or a book volume consisting of a selection of papers presented at this symposium except for a Proceedings with revised papers. For a selected list of publications of previous symposia, please see http://www.symposium.hv.se/en/publications.
Prof. Martin Andersson, Blekinge Institute of Technology & CIRCLE, Lund University, Sweden, email@example.com
Prof. Per Assmo, University West, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. David Audretsch, University of Indiana, Institute for Development Strategies, USA, email@example.com
Dr. Irene Bernhard, University West, Trollhättan, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Paul Cheshire, London School of Economics and Political Science, UK, email@example.com
Prof. Alessandra Faggian, Gran Sasso Science Institute, L’Aquila, Italy firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Maryann Feldman, University of North Carolina, USA, email@example.com
Prof. Charlie Karlsson, Chair, Jönköping International Business School & University West, Sweden firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Helen Lawton Smith, Birkbeck, University of London, UK, email@example.com
Prof. Mark Partridge, AED Economics, Ohio State University, USA, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Lars Svensson, LINA, University West, Trollhättan, Sweden, email@example.com
Prof. André Torre, University Paris-Saclay, INRA, AgroParistech, France, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Elin Wihlborg, Linköping University, Sweden, elin email@example.com
Dr. Iréne Bernhard, Symposium, Chair, University West, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Urban Gråsjö, University West, Sweden, email@example.com
Prof. Charlie Karlsson, Jönköping International Business School, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Rebecca Olsson, Symposium Assistant Coordinator, University West, Sweden, email@example.com
Co-financers and sponsors
European Regional Science Association ERSA, https://ersa.org/
George Mason University, Schar School of Policy and Government, Fairfax, VA, USA, https://www2.gmu.edu/
Municipality of Uddevalla, Sweden, https://www.informationsverige.se/Engelska/Leva-och-bo/lan-och-kommuner/Pages/Uddevalla.aspx
The Institute of Business Administration (Företagsekonomiska institutet), Stockholm, Sweden, http://www.fei.se/aboutfei/research
University West, LINA, Trollhättan, Sweden, http://www.hv.se/en/learning-in-and-for-the-new-working-life
University West, School of Business, Economics and IT, Trollhättan, Sweden, http://www.hv.se/en/about-university-west/organization/school-of-business-economics-and-it
Further information about the 23rd Uddevalla symposium can be found at: The symposium website
Stay tuned on ERSA events and Join our Emailing list