This event is postponed due to the Covid-19 outbreak. The local organizers will provide news about the workshop as soon as possible after this international crisis.
25th APDR Workshop
Social Innovation Towards Sustainability: Embracing Contemporary Challenges for Regional Development
16 April 2020, Faculty of Economics, University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal
The Portuguese section of European Regional Science Association (ERSA) is happy to invite you to participate to the 25th APDR workshop “Social Innovation Towards Sustainability: Embracing Contemporary Challenges for Regional Development” which will promote the reflection and knowledge sharing on social innovation practices connected with sustainability and regional development. It intends to promote an inter-sector dialogue among researchers, activists, local, regional and national policy makers, associations, non-governmental organizations, practitioners of social innovation and social entrepreneurs.
The workshop is organized by APDR – Portuguese Association for Regional Development and CES – Centre for Social Studies of the University of Coimbra, with the support of CinTurs – Research Centre for Tourism, Sustainability and Well-Being of the University of Algarve. This workshop also benefits from the support of the Atlantic Social Lab project, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) through the INTERREG Atlantic Area Cooperation Program (EAPA_246/2016).
- Flôr Avelino, Dutch Research Institute for Transitions, The Netherlands
- Silvia Ferreira, Faculty of Economics of Coimbra University, Portugal
- Filipe Almeida, President, Portugal Social Innovation Initiative, Portugal
- Michael Danson, Heriot-Watt University, Scotland
- Mário Vale, Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Call for papers
The Local Organising Committee invites researchers, activists, public officials and social entrepreneurs to submit proposals for contributions to the workshop. Submissions might be based on formal research or on concrete activist, community or public policy initiatives.
Proposals should be submitted electronically, as a Word File, to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating in the subject “25 Workshop APDR – Abstract” and include: the title of the paper, a summary of up to 250 words, keywords (up to 5) and the chosen presentation type.
The workshop is particularly interested in proposals related to these thematic fields:
- On innovation: studies, reflections and examples about innovation (s) that, particularly, are concerned to emphasize sustainability and regional development, such as social innovation, grassroots innovation, transformative innovation, among others;
- On transformation: studies, reflections and examples focused on sustainability transitions, multi-level perspective, transferability and scaling-up, and their relationships with innovation and regional development;
- Doing It: Examples of real-world practices in developing innovation practices that address social and environmental needs, such as sustainable intentional communities (ecovillages), smart-cities, eco-cities, cities in transition, transition movements, living laboratories, NGOs, territorial and local development agencies, public policies, among others, that may instigate regional development.
The event also integrates a focus group discussion, in Portuguese, about “The Transformative Potential of Social Innovation for Regional Development”. This focus group is developed by the Atlantic Social Lab project.
Abstracts Submission Deadline: 31 January 2020
Notification of acceptance will be communicated until 14 February 2020
Stay tuned on ERSA events and Join our Emailing list